The Story of Misión San José y San Miguel de Aguayo.
The year was 1720. That’s when Fray Antonio Margil de Jesús founded what is now known as The Queen of the Missions. A major social center, it was viewed and much admired as a model of mission organization.
It certainly had a great deal to be proud of: The stateliness and grace of the church and other structures. Rich, productive fields and pastures. A pastoral setting on a small rise and set well back from the unpredictable—but lovely—river. A large complex that incorporated residences, crafts and trade workshops, a productive granary and mill—and more. It was the equivalent of a self-sustaining town. Quite an achievement in what was then an outpost on the frontera. In fact, it was the showplace of the Southwest.
Construction on the present church began in 1758. The cornerstone was laid by Governor Don Hugo Oconor and Gaspar Jose Solis—the Franciscan inspector. It was completed in 1782. And it has held on to its reputation as the mission with the most beautiful church along the entire frontier of New Spain ever since.
The pastor of Misión San José is Rev. Rogelio Martinez, OFM.
701 E. Pyron
San Antonio, Texas 78214
Public Mass is Currently Cancelled
For up to date information visit: https://missionsanjosechurch.org/